Michelle's Reviews > The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Apr 08, 08

Recommended for: Anyone who wants to feel infinite
Read in April, 2008

"So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be."

I had been reluctant to pick up this book after seeing it on so many favorites lists in the past few years. Typically, that wouldn't be the case. For some reason, I just always doubted that it would live up to the hype. After reading the above on the second page, I knew I'd been wrong to avoid it. It might not end up being in my Top 5, but I was hooked from page 2. I read 3/4 of the book in one sitting, and I probably could've finished it all if I didn't keep stopping to jot down quotes that I liked.

It isn't non-stop action, and the writing can be simple. But in its own way, it's beautiful. I didn't know if I'd be able to relate to a 15 year old boy, and there were a lot of events that I hadn't experienced at all. But then Charlie would say something about how he was feeling, and I'd find myself nodding and thinking, "Yeah, I know what he means." This book was like a therapy session or a really good talk with a friend that you didn't know you needed and didn't realize you were making a breakthrough.... until it was happening.

And I couldn't even decide which quotes were the most worthy to write down...

"It's like when you are excited about a girl and you see a couple holding hands, and you feel so happy for them. And other times you see the same couple, and they make you so mad. And all you want is to always feel happy for them because you know that if you do, then it means that you're happy, too."

"It's just that sometimes people use thought to not participate in life."

"We accept the love we think we deserve."

"I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where to go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sara Amber i love that you recommended it for people who want to feel "infinite". that was the best and most memorable part of the novel for me. :)