♥Rachel♥'s Reviews > Such a Rush

Jun 18, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended to ♥Rachel♥ by: ~Tina~
Read from June 08 to 10, 2012

Seventeen year-old Leah has always lived by airports growing up. Living next to one in a trailer park is the cheapest rent and thanks to Leah's loser mom, that's all they can afford. Leah actually doesn't mind being close, she loves planes and longs to fly. Determined to make the best of a situation and not follow in her mother's footsteps, Leah gets a job with Hall Aviation at the airport next door. Mr. Hall takes her under his wing and is like the father she never had. Despite her close relationship with Mr. Hall Leah feels like an outsider every summer and school vacation, when his sons come to visit. They help fly the banner planes that make up the majority of Mr. Hall's business. His sons are gorgeous and complete opposites, even though they're twins. Leah stays back as a silent observer, secretly crushing on Grayson. It's a shock and a blow when Mr. Hall dies unexpectedly, and Leah makes arrangements to work elsewhere figuring the business will be sold. When Grayson and Alec show up to run the business, she's surprised but doesn't think it'll last for long, and Leah has no intention of staying. However, Grayson digs something up in Leah's past and blackmails her to stay on to help fly the banners. In addition to forcing her to stay, Grayson also wants Leah to persuade Alec to date her. Grayson threatens Leah's future hopes of flying so she has no choice but to cooperate with his scheme. She can't figure out why Grayson wants her to attract Alec, and he refuses to tell her.

One of Jennifer Echols great strengths as a writer is her ability to write perfectly flawed but relatable characters, so I connected with Leah instantly. I felt protective of her and rooted for her to triumph and rise above her situation. This is an accomplishment with the horrible excuse of a mother she has, one of the worst I've come across in fiction! Her mother only cared about herself, and Leah had to be on constant guard so she wouldn't take advantage of her. The mother relied on Leah to work and pay bills while she had no job, being too occupied with her current disaster of a boyfriend. In the beginning of the story I was on edge because Leah was vulnerable as a target from the shady characters in the trailer park. All because her mother's neglect left her open to these kinds of situations. I was glad she had the airport as safe haven to escape to.

Grayson was another flawed character that grew on me. I didn't like him at first. He wasn't all that nice, and his insistence for Leah to lure Alec in irritated me. Also he made assumptions about Leah I didn't care for. But as the mystery behind his behavior unravels, I began to understand his motivations and ended up falling hard for him. Grayson fights but can't help his attraction to Leah. He truly cared for Leah and was protective of her. Another one of Ms. Echols strengths is her ability to write some knee-weakening, steamy scenes. Trust. She delivers in this story:

"Hey, I told you. Lately my brain isn't working right. I feel one thing, but I act a different way and it surprises me. I don't know where my words are coming from half the time. But you…" He kissed my check. "Gosh…" He kissed my lips, then backed away to look at me again. "You know what? Let me show you how I feel." I gasped as he trailed kisses down my cheek, down my neck,……... Well, you get where this is going, so I'll just leave it at that.

I highly recommend this. It's right up there with my other favorite Jennifer Echols novels: Going Too Far and Forget You. This does not disappoint!

Thank you so much Tina for lending me your precious copy!!

You can find this review and more on:
The Readers Den
26 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Such a Rush.

06/09/2012 page 46
14.0% "These boys are heartless with Leah and it's really starting to tick me off!" 5 comments
06/10/2012 page 142
44.0% "I'm going to pitch a fit if Grayson gets with Molly!!"

Bethany Lucky! I hope this better then her last book.

♥Rachel♥ I hope so too. I have friends that have read and really liked it, so fingers crossed. :)

Jasprit I really hope you like thie one too! :)

Anna Can't wait to see what you think about it! :)

~Tina~ 5 stars!! Yay's! So glad you enjoyed it:)

I agree, I love Jennifer's edgy contemp just a little bit more then her fluff-n-stuff;-)

♥Rachel♥ This was much better than The One That I Want, her last book! This is more along the lines of Going Too Far or Forget You. I loved both! Thank you so much Tina!! (view spoiler) :)

Kristy AHHHH!!! I can't wait to read your review!!! :)

Jasprit Yay 5 stars!! I can't wait to read your review either! Especially as you think it's her best! :)

~Tina~ ♥Rachel♥ wrote: "This was much better than The One That I Want, her last book! This is more along the lines of Going Too Far or Forget You. I loved both! Thank you so much Tina!! [spoilers removed] :)"

I haven't read The One That I Want yet, but the rest of her books I have. I agree, this book goes right up there with Going to Far!
Take your time, no rush, send it back anytime:)

message 10: by Amber (new)

Amber I found Going Too Far dull, but I really did like The Boys of Summer. Perhaps I'll check this one out!

Eunice Wonderful review and great quote, Rachel! Haha! I've read 4 books of Jennifer Echols and my favorite was Going Too Far! I hope this is as good! I really love the way Echols write her characters and of course those steamy scene. I'm so looking forward to read this one and to meet Leah and Grayson. ^^

message 12: by Hilda (new)

Hilda I sooo agree with Sam! We need more of that quote! I'm still unsure where it's going... *put on innocent face* :P

Jasprit How can you leave us hanging like that Rachel?? that quote is awesome! I definitely need more like Sam said! I think I may have to pre-order a copy seeing as it's your favourite by Echols yet! Lovely review Rachel! :)

message 14: by ~Tina~ (last edited Jun 17, 2012 02:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~Tina~ Yay's!! So glad you loved this!! Grayson was hard to like at first for me too. I hated what he was accusing Leah of. It made me really want to smack him. Hard.
Great review!

♥Rachel♥ Eunice wrote: "Wonderful review and great quote, Rachel! Haha! I've read 4 books of Jennifer Echols and my favorite was Going Too Far! I hope this is as good! I really love the way Echols write her characters and..."

Thank you Eunice. Going Too Far was amazing. I think this one is right up there. Hope you love it like I did if you pick it up. :)

♥Rachel♥ Hilda wrote: "I sooo agree with Sam! We need more of that quote! I'm still unsure where it's going... *put on innocent face* :P"

@ Sam and Hilda, I guess you'll just have to pick this up to find out. Heehee!! ;)

♥Rachel♥ Jasprit wrote: "How can you leave us hanging like that Rachel?? that quote is awesome! I definitely need more like Sam said! I think I may have to pre-order a copy seeing as it's your favourite by Echols yet! Love..."

Thank you Jasprit. I think I liked this just as much as my two other favorites Going Too Far and Forget You. I think you'd enjoy Jennifer Echols. She's a vanilla queen's dream. :)

♥Rachel♥ ~Tina~ wrote: "Yay's!! So glad you loved this!! Grayson was hard to like at first for me too. I hated what he was accusing Leah of. It made me really want to smack him. Hard.
Great review!"

Thank you Tina!! I did want to smack Grayson more than a few times but then I fell for him hard. Thanks again for the lend, I loved all the comments! It felt like I was reading it with you ladies. :) I'll put it in the mail tomorrow.

~Tina~ Anytime babe!:) I can't wait to read ya'll comments! It makes reading it again that much more fun:)

message 20: by Mimi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mimi Valentine Why your review so amazing, Rachel???? :') Gosh, I can't even tell you how excited I am for this book -- it's going to be my first JE one, but from everything I've heard, it sounds like her best! <3

message 21: by Annie (new) - added it

Annie Beautiful writing, beautiful review. Talent features talent. Another added to the list. So curious to read this now, you are amazing at capturing the emotions and that's why I read a book. My heart is all twisted up now.

♥Rachel♥ Thank you so much, Annie!! What an amazing compliment! I hope you enjoy this as much as I did. :)

~Tina~ Hey Rach. I just got this in the mail yesterday. So glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the bookmaker! Looking forward to reading everyones comments:D

♥Rachel♥ I'm so glad you got it back. Thanks again. I loved this story and the comments totally made the read. :)

Kristy Great Review!!!! I needs to read the other Echols books you mentioned :)

message 26: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Hi Rachel! How did I miss this lovely review!??? The things I miss around here!
Yes! Echols certainly does know her away around a steamy scene! :D Haha…Can’t wait!

♥Rachel♥ @Kristy-Thanks. I loved both the books I mentioned. They're a must for contemporary romance lovers. I hope you pick one of them up. :)

@Laura-I'm probably missing a bunch on here too. I'll have to check around and catch up on everyone's reviews when I get back. Echols does have a gift with steamy! ;)

message 28: by Ceitidh (new)

Ceitidh OMG!! is it as sexy as Going too Far??????? THAT yummy and awesome????????????????????????? Echols really makes up for Love Story fiasco?

♥Rachel♥ It does have some sexy scenes but Going to Far and Forget You are still my favorites. I know! What he heck happened with Love Story?! Very frustrating read.

message 30: by Ceitidh (new)

Ceitidh thnx! and I know, Love Story was like... WTF! XDDD