♥Rachel♥'s Reviews > The One That I Want

The One That I Want by Jennifer Echols

Jan 02, 12

bookshelves: kindle
Read from December 27 to 29, 2011 — I own a copy

Gemma Van Cleve has just auditioned to be a Majorette at the prodding of her "so-called" best friend, Addison. Gemma has been preparing for this tryout by practicing, and by losing thirty pounds in the last five months. Gemma doesn't feel confident that she'll make it on the team because only the popular make the majorette squad, but she aces the tryout, much to her surprise, and lands on the team. While training at majorette camp she spots a football player, Max staring her way throughout the practice. She can't believe he's paying attention to her because he's gorgeous, but he keeps staring in her direction. When practice is over, Addison convinces her to go with her and talk to Max with her. Of course, Addison assumes Max was staring at her, not Gemma and somehow he becomes Addison's pursuit. They end up going to a restaurant after practice with Max and his friend, Carter and somehow Gemma is paired up with Carter, and Addison is paired up with Max.

Normally, I would stay away from this type of scenario in a book because it sounds frustrating, but I've loved anything I've read of Jennifer Echols so I gave this a go. Max is supposed to be paired with Addison, but throughout the book the connection between Gemma and him is obvious. They connect as friends and more. Normally you'd feel bad this was happening when Max is supposed to be the best-friends boyfriend but trust me, Addison is no best-friend! When you get to the bottom of this story, then you'll really don't feel bad, at all! Addison is horrible, most of the book I wanted to choke her! Such a self-centered, shallow, cruel girl! She is queen of the backhanded compliment, and outright insult. You find out that Gemma is friends with her because she feels she has no one else. Her weight made her self esteem non-existent. However, this starts to change when she makes a new friend, and starts to excel on the majorette squad. Max also helps with these changes by challenging her thinking. Gemma on the other hand helps Max with his issues too, they're both good for each other.

Although, this story was not my favorite of Echols, I still would recommend it. It was an easy and cute read, one you could get through in a sitting. I look forward to the next Jennifer Echols book!
15 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The One That I Want.

12/28/2011
13.0% "Can't stand this so-called "friend" Addison. Mean and self-centered. :(" 2 comments

message 1: by Jasprit (new) - added it

Jasprit I can't wait to read this one enjoy :)

♥Rachel♥ Thanks Jasprit. I've been looking forward to this one as well. We'll see how it goes. :)

message 3: by Kristina (new) - added it

Kristina Snyder I can't wait to read this!!!! I love her books. Can't wait to read your review Rachel.

♥Rachel♥ I love her books to Kristina. I still haven't started this yet. I packing for a trip. Probably have to wait until the car until I start it! :)

Bethany Can’t wait to hear what you think of The One That I want. I have all of Jennifer Echols books in paperback, so I’m trying to wait till this one comes out in February in paperback. I just hope I can do it! I really can’t wait to read this book.

♥Rachel♥ I really liked this but I wanted to smack the so-called friend! She was horrible.
If you like Jennifer Echols, you'll like this. I've loved everything I've read of her so far. :)

message 7: by Jasprit (new) - added it

Jasprit Addison sounds like a person that needs a right old slap! lol

I'm glad you liked this one Rachel, from your review it sounds just like my sort of book! Great review :)

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Jasprit, and yes, Addison needs a right old slap! :)

message 9: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Great review Rachel! Echols hasn't impressmed me since Going Too Far, so I'm looking forward to trying this one. :)

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Arlene. I did like this one but it's not as good as Forget You or Going Too Far, in my opinion. I can't wait to see what you think. :)

message 11: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma I totally agree with how Addison was a terrible best friend!!

♥Rachel♥ Yep, I never liked her!! Even in the end. Have you read Such A Rush yet? I liked it better than this one. :)

message 13: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma It looks good (Such a Rush)

message 14: by Sonia (new)

Sonia I haven't read this story, but I hate Addison already. Great review as always, Rachel! ;-)

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Sonia! Yes, Addison was a piece of work and not in a good way!

Emma, if you're a fan of Echols, I think you'll like it. :)

message 16: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary I bought this a while back and haven't had a chance to read it, I like your.comments Rachel

message 17: by Emma (last edited Jul 15, 2012 06:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Do you know any books similar (I mean not necessarily Jennifer Echols)? :)

♥Rachel♥ Mary wrote: "I bought this a while back and haven't had a chance to read it, I like your.comments Rachel"

Thanks Mary. I wonder if you'll be as ticked off at the "best friend" friend as well. :)

♥Rachel♥ Emma wrote: "Do you know any books similar (I mean not necessarily Jennifer Echols)? :)"

Emma, have you read Perfect Chemistry or anything else by Simone Elkeles? I would say her work has a similar feel to Jennifer Echols books. I loved Perfect Chemistry and Leaving Paradise and it's sequel Return to Paradise. I'll have to think of more. :)

message 20: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars