Kathryn's Reviews > Strengths Finder 2.0

Aug 10, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in October, 2009

I might have found this more useful if I'd done it with a work group instead of on my own. Some of the strengths seemed too similar while the descriptions of others were broad. For example, two of my strengths are:

Maximizer - people who are especially talented in the Maximizer theme focus on strengths as a way to stimulate personal and group excellence. They seek to transform something strong into something superb.

Individualization - intrigued with the unique qualities of each person. They have a gift for figuring out how people who are different can work together.

These seem rather similar.

I also got:

Analytical - people who are especially talented in the Analytical theme search for reasons and causes. They have the ability to think about all the factors that might affect a situation.

Deliberative - best described by the serious care they take in making decisions and choices. They anticipate the obstacles.

and finally

Relator - enjoys close relationships with others. They find deep satisfaction in working hard with friends to achieve a goal.

This not only seems pretty close to the first two but the description goes on to say a Relator is someone who delivers peak performances, has high expectations, is open and honest about who he/she is - which comes of as a sort of laundry list. I am not sure how that relates to enjoying close relationships with others.

There are certainly some useful points and learnings in this book. If your workplace buys it for you, great, but I wouldn't recommend spending your own money on it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strengths Finder 2.0.