Rachel Reynolds's Reviews > Elephant Girl: A Human Story

Elephant Girl by Jane Devin

Sep 20, 11

Read from August 10 to September 11, 2011

It is easy to be skeptical of a self-published memoir. The genre these days is full of people who feel themselves deserving of their "moment in the sun" and looking for any way to tell their story.

This is NOT a good description of Elephant Girl. Jane Devin's memoir is heartbreakingly honest. It is well-written. It is both realistic and unbelieveable all at the same time. I found myself marveling at the strength of this woman in her attempts to follow her dream as a writer even when faced with the everyday obstacles that effect so many: poverty, abuse, misunderstanding, society's need to adhere to particular conventions. As I read about her life experiences, I was constantly surprised as she endured so much in such a short period of time. She captures her story and allows us to see both the creative side of her writing as well as her ability to weave a yarn.

If I were to criticize the story at all it would be to say that in the hands of a keen editor, I think this book would go from wonderful to amazingly fabulous. There were a few times that I got lost in the story with regard to continuum and voice. Sometimes she spoke in the present day reflecting on her life and sometimes she spoke as the child or young adult she was "in the moment" of her story.

Kudos to Jane on the publication of her first book. I wish her much success and look forward to reading more.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elephant Girl.

Quotes Rachel Liked

Jane Devin
“Love isn't something you can just unlearn...no matter who you are, or who you're born to, or how much it's not returned" - - Elephant Girl”
Jane Devin, Elephant Girl: A Human Story