Rebecca's Reviews > Strait Is the Gate

Strait Is the Gate by André Gide

Jul 16, 2008

bookshelves: faves

Enchanting 'n' doomed young love. Also a cautionary tale of self idolatry with religious and romantic convictions divulged as narcissism.

"You think that one can keep a hopeless love in one's heart for as long as that?... And that life can breath upon it everyday without extinguishing it?"

*mopes*

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strait Is the Gate.

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-4 of 4) </span> <span class="smallText">(4 new)</span>

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What did you think of Alyssa? She's gotta be one of the most annoying and hopeless creations in all of literature.

message 2: by Rebecca (last edited May 21, 2009 11:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rebecca Hi Rana, sorry, I only just stumbled upon your comment. I love the girl. Have been likened to her. Also, frequently called annoying and hopeless. :D

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha, sorry, I noticed it was one of your favorite books. I'm glad you didn't take offense. Actually, she is very fascinating. I can admire the lengths she would go for her religious convictions (e.g., what she did with her hair and how she got rid of all her favorite books, etc.) Just was disappointed with what it did to the romance. Also, the anorexia nervosa was a bit disturbing.

message 4: by Kristina (new) - added it

Kristina only the Divine Trinity can keep a "hopless love" alive in a heart subject to selfish human nature. This character is to be emulated not castigated!