Zeek's Reviews > Surrender My Love

Surrender My Love by Johanna Lindsey

Aug 11, 11

bookshelves: hist-rom, romance, favorite-author-all-time, kindle
Read in August, 2011

*re-read*

Selig the Blessed had always had every woman wrapped around his finger- heck even while knocked unconscious after a being ambushed on the way to do King Alfred’s business, a woman took care of him. But all of that changed when he awakens alone and far from his home and taken prisoner.

Lady Erica of Gronwood had no idea the mess that just entered her well-ordered world when she is called down to confront a prisoner being held in her brother’s dungeon. Angered by the prisoners arrogance and seeming lies she orders him whipped for his insolence- an order she quickly decides to rescind after leaving his presence. However circumstance keeps her from doing so and the beating happens- at the hands of a cruel man- unbeknownst to her.

When Selig’s sister Kristen (Hearts Aflame) does find him, she’s horrified to see his condition. Taking Erica as captive she forces her from her home until Selig is well enough to deal with Lady Erica himself.

Although I liked this book well enough it still wasn’t near as good as Heart’s Aflame and it was amazing how Kristen and Royce took over the scene every time they were on the page. Where as I didn’t mind “the big misunderstanding” in the first two books in this series- here it just became wearying. Out of his mind with fever, Selig thought it was Erica who had whipped him and had laughed while doing so. Her guilty conscious makes her agree to the fact she was responsible since she had been the one to order it, but it really wasn’t. (The brutal guard of her brother’s was the guilty party). Much of the book was him prejudiced against her and she too prideful to reveal the truth all the while fighting their attraction for each other.

Although not bad, I just had hoped for something a little more involved for Selig, (a more 3 dimensional heroine perhaps? ugh), since I too had been in love with him since the time of his birth in Fires of Winter - just like every other woman apparently! :P Certainly more than the same mistrust and misunderstanding we had gotten from the first two books in the series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Surrender My Love.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully This one wasn't a fave for me either Zeek. Erica was kinds colorless and Kristen was a bitch in this one.

Zeek agreed- I forgot to mention how flat I found erica too! (I've added it!)