Rochelle Ragnarok's Reviews > Damnable

Damnable by Hank Schwaeble

Aug 16, 11

Read from August 10 to 16, 2011

I picked this book up at a Borders going out of business sale, I saw it stacked in the Vampire section and since I read the back cover and thought it had a great concept I picked up this book and Diabolical expecting to have two great books to add to my horror collection. The beginning scene with Garrett was very engaging and only made me even more excited to continue on with the story, then we cut to Jake Hatcher, a man doing time for something he didn't do. I won't spoil anything and I admit I did not get that far in the book before I put it down with no desire to pick it up again. I loved the gore, the writing was straight forward (which I liked) but Jake never captured my interest, I thought the detective aspects of the story was dull, the villians Valentine and Sherman were uninteresting, and going almost half way into the book I kept thinking "Where are the freaking Vampires or Vampire like creatures" So far I am given this dull Valentine character, Sherman, and some caged creature who eat hearts.

Then I went to Amazon.com to see if I can find more information about the novel when I read another description about these Carnate women and a plan to end Heaven's reign. I knew then I would not pick this book back up. If I had read this on the book's back cover I never would have purchased it as I'm not into religious themed books horror or otherwise. The Carnates don't sound that interesting anyway. The only times I found the novel interesting were the tidbits of information about Garrett, I keep thinking of how the novel would've turned out if it was about him and how he got involved instead of Jake and his momma issues. But oh well. Time to pick up another book, I will be selling Damnable and Diabolical.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Damnable.

08/15/2011 page 153
38.0% "The book held my attention for a while but now I'm reluctant to continue. Not into the Jake character or the main villian (valentine). I don't know what's going on with the story and from what I read on Amazon about these Carnates women and their goal to destroy Heaven it makes me even more wary to keep going. I'm not into religious themed books."