Liza Gilbert's Reviews > The Guinea Pig Diaries: My Life as an Experiment

2035961
Aug 10, 11

bookshelves: audio, adult-non-fiction
Read in August, 2011

Never let it be said that I don't love the work of A.J. Jacobs.

What I will say is that Jacobs, who does neuroses like Microsoft does updates, works better on a grand scale. A collection of vignettes simply highlights the obsessive compulsive side and leaves much of the self-deprecating humor behind.

When Jacobs has a large-scale project to work on, he more frequently finds the odd corners that need to be explored; in a collection of stories, he doesn't really have the motivation to find them.

Also, I read this in its audio format, as read by the author. I have both read and "heard" Jacob's other books and found this one to be more soporific than stimulating. It sounded almost like Jacobs knew the sections were short and about to be over, and just didn't get as involved. Perhaps because the articles themselves weren't as involved as his other works.

I will continue to laud the efforts of the nosy neurotic from New York both to friends and patrons, but I think I will only suggest this one to the most stalwart of fans. And, I will anxiously await the next big experiment by Mr. Jacobs (and his long-suffering wife).
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Guinea Pig Diaries.