Larry Bassett's Reviews > Echo Park

Echo Park by Michael Connelly

Aug 18, 11

bookshelves: crime, fiction
Read from August 12 to 18, 2011 — I own a copy

If I lived around LA for a few years, I might have been reading Michael Connelly instead of George Pelecanos. I started reading Pelecanos because I lived for some time in Silver Spring, Maryland, a part of metro DC. Connelly evidently haunts the streets of Los Angeles and its surroundings in the Harry Bosch series. Never lived in LA and Echo Park is my first Connelly novel. I know I will be reading more. I found this book exciting and entertaining. It gets an easy four stars from me.

First, let me dispense with my political concerns about Harry Bosch. Detective Bosch is strong into the use of the death penalty, an eye for an eye. Not only that but he believes in justice coming from police bullets. Maybe you can’t always convict the bad guy, but sometimes you can luck out and kill the bad guy and that is also justice. I don’t support either mechanism of justice. That is certainly a hard standard to maintain when the serial murderer is such a heinous villain as we find in this book.

In spite of some political disagreements with the main character, I nevertheless did like reading the book and found it engrossing from beginning to end. When a book seems to have reached its climax and there are still seventy pages left, you know that there are still some surprises in store. I liked that.

I am hoping that some strong women appear in Connelly’s books. Echo Park had two women who had a bit of character development. But not much. I am interested in seeing if there are any repeating women characters in his other books that we actually get to know something about. Maybe I will have to find some crime books with women detectives or main characters. Any suggestions?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Echo Park.

08/12/2011 page 1
0.0% "Let's see if you have any competition, George Pelecanos!"
08/16/2011 page 87
27.0% "Lead character is a man, but there are a couple of women who may be developed into real people."