Laura's Reviews > The Christmas Wedding

The Christmas Wedding by James Patterson

Aug 10, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: adult, realistic-fiction, romance, reviews, what-was-the-point-of-that-book
Read from November 01, 2011 to April 19, 2012 , read count: 1

When I first picked this book up, it made no sense to me. Why would the bride not tell her fiance, well, who her fiance was? She gives the lame excuse because "it's to bring her family together." Gabby, the bride, says that it's the only way they'll see who she's marrying, so they have to come.

Is it just me, or does that not make any sense? It's not like they're never going to talk to her for the rest of their lives. They're going to found out who she's married to. And why would the wedding alone not make them come? It sure didn't seem like they hated each other. In fact, once they finally got together, they were quite happy, so I'm not sure why they even split up in the first place.

The characters themselves were rather dull an uninteresting. Gabby is just about the definition of a Mary Sue, and the others are so un-notable that I can't even think of anything to say about them. The groom options were all very 2-d, and you know hardly anything about them except that "they're all good sports" and stuff like that. The two losers aren't even the least upset that she didn't choose them. How does this make sense? I understand that you just want her to be happy, but if you're not even a little sad that she's not with you I can't possibly believe that you love her.

The writing was okay... which upsets me greatly. With an author like James Patterson, who has the most books on the bestseller list of any author, ever, and has sold more than 250 million copies of his books, I expect freakin awesome writing. Like, Markus Zusak good. But, as usually, James Patterson is valuing quantity over quality. Good job, James.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Christmas Wedding.

11/17/2011 page 31