Greg's Reviews > We3

We3 by Grant Morrison

Aug 13, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novels, science-fiction
Read from August 12 to 13, 2011

A very quick read (under an hour) but an entertainingly gory romp! The artwork is superb - richly detailed and nicely coloured - while the dialogue is kept to a minimum.

The only thing about this book I wasn't so happy with is that I didn't really develop any particular affection for the three cyborgs. I've always lived in the company of pet cats and dogs and I oppose vivisection, so the idea that animals (especially former pets) could be turned into a kind of war machine is a dreadful concept. Yet, other than the inclusion of lost pet posters that show how the three cyborgs had once been family pets, we are not given any real back story. We don't know how they ended up being experimented on or why they had been selected for this purpose. One is also left wondering how a dog, a cat and a rabbit could've become a team at all, let alone one that acts as a military unit! Why not three dogs or three cats, for example?

So, for me, the story is rather basic - three brutalised and dangerous former pets-turned-war-machines escape death to find their way 'home' (wherever that is) - but I liked the artwork. If there was more depth to the narrative, I'd give it 4-5 stars but as it is I'd prefer to give it 3.5.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We3.