Grete's Reviews > Midnight's Daughter

Midnight's Daughter by Karen Chance

Sep 17, 11

bookshelves: print-copy-owned
Read in September, 2009

For Dorina Basarab, being a dhampir is not easy. Half-vampire, half-human and reviled by the vampiric community for being an abomination. Unpredictable due to blackout rages and short life spans, dhampirs usually go insane but Dorina manages to hang on to her sanity by being near her null friend Claire and unleashing her fury on those she believes deserve it. Dorina isn’t just any dhampir however, she’s also Mircea’s daughter.

I’m a big fan of Karen Chance’s main series, the Cassandra Palmer books, and I was keen to read this offshoot and I ended up quite disappointed. I didn’t gel well with the lead character of Dorina, she irritated me and really, the only thing that made the book worth reading were the rare appearances of Mircea. That’s not to say the book wasn’t well written or the story not interesting but it just didn’t have the charm and magic that the Cassie books do in abundance.

From an author whose work is usually outstanding, this is pretty average. There is one interesting thing I quite liked however, there is a very subtle but brief moment where Midnight’s Daughter melds with the first Cassie book. I won’t spoil it by saying any more than that but it is very subtle and a friend and fellow fan had to point it out to me the first time!

This review and others can also be read at http://www.bookthing.co.uk

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight's Daughter.