Sara Diane's Reviews > What a Girl Wants

Apr 07, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: 2008, own, reviewed
Read in April, 2008 , read count: 1

This is one I picked up for less than $5 at a Mardel sale. I have to say, I didn't have high hopes--hardly a hope at all--for this book, but Billerbeck gave me a mild surprize. While the book is a bit preachy and the Christianity is fairly forced, the writing was decent, the story honest if a bit "chiky", and Billerbeck has a sense of humor that only another 30-something single woman can have.

This was a very quick read. It was fun and disctracting--not something to read if you want to study how to write well, but there were no glarring errors or problems. My only huge critique/complaint is Billerbeck's obession in using alternative spellings. There is nothing wrong with spelling Erin with an "e", but Billerbeck has to use "a" and make me doubt the name every time I see it. Thankfully, there are a few normal names and that mostly made up for it.

I might pick up another one of her novels in the future, when I need a good laugh. And this gives me hope that publishers like Nelson might actually be trying to find good, solid, writing from a Christian perspective that isn't sickeningly Christian!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What a Girl Wants.