Danny Bennett's Reviews > The Great Hunt

The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan

M_50x66
Aug 10, 11

bookshelves: fantasy

Characterization: The reader is able to dive deeper into the characters of the wheel of time. Most of the book consists of Rand agonizing over whether he should channel or not. I found Rand a little frustrating at times; his stubbornness and all to easy temptation with a new character was annoying at times. I did start to appreciate Egwene more in this book where as in the first book, I wanted nothing to do with her. Jordan practices the hard fast method of giving his character more depth by making her suffer a little.

Plot: I felt like the plot was missing something for the majority of the book. I wanted more with Perrin and Mat, but the majority of the book focuses on Rand. I think the best parts of the book were with Egwene, Elayne, and Min. I laughed out loud when Egwene gets frustrated that apparently Rand has met every other beautiful girl in the world. Even though the plot felt off kilter for the majority of the book, the ending was quite good, definitely better than the first book. Rand's battles at the end were wonderfully written.

Overall: Since the ending was so good, it will push me to continue on in the series. I felt this book had some weaknesses concerning flow and missed opportunities to get involved in different characters more. But there were defintely highlights to the book and Jordan's series is above the majority of fantasy books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Hunt.