John Thurmon's Reviews > Barefoot in November

Barefoot in November by Benjamin J. Carey

M_50x66
Aug 10, 11

Recommended for: Heart Patients, People facing a terminal illness

This book changed my life. I was diagnosed with an aortic aneurysm on May 4, 2011, and I found the author's blog heartosaurus.com and the book while I was scouring google for information on the condition. I am only 27 years old and I identified with the author's story immediately and am so grateful that he shared his experience. I felt all of the same feelings of denial, anger, and fear. The book is very candid and often profane but the story could not be told any other way. If you're religious or like light hearted books, this isn't for you. I know how the author felt because I've been there and I'm so glad that I was able to read this story during a time in my life when the whole world came crashing in, I was angry and bitter, and no one seemed to understand. No one could understand what I was going through, but this book gave me hope. The best part about it was how real the author came across. This is not an author worried about offending anyone, he tells it how it is and that's what makes this book so great! I had open heart surgery on June 27, 2011 and am on the road to a good recovery. Thanks Benjamin Carey, I'll be looking for you at Cow Harbor this year!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Barefoot in November.