Wynne Kontos's Reviews > Before I Go to Sleep

Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson

Aug 10, 2011

it was ok
Read in July, 2011

I just finished this novel, having bought it for my big move to NYC. I enjoyed this book, and followed it into a few tangents thinking I was figuring it out on my own. I wasn't, and the final twist was a twist. But a really dark, ugly twist that left a bad taste in my mouth.
Watson is lucky that his writing is fast enough to keep the reader from questioning how it all works out. I can't imagine writing a novel from the point of view of a woman who goes to sleep every night and awakens to literally remember nothing. He includes a few plot points that make it possible for him to even write the book (otherwise we'd be reading the first chapter over and over again,) and this plot point eventually turns over onto itself for what I believe is the biggest twist in the story (and the one that didn't leave me cringing.) Perhaps the most interesting part of this mystery is that the main character is the one that you easily become the most invested in--with her memory damaged, you the reader feel as though you can't ever trust any of the supporting characters. So what do you do when you learn the narrator you've come to rely on during ht entire story may not be such a good person? This plot line is definitely Watson's most interesting exploration through out the book. The ending definitely answers all your questions, and it totally creeped me out when I was still up at 2 am reading it. But I don't know if I loved it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before I Go to Sleep.