jD's Reviews > The Hawk and His Boy

The Hawk and His Boy by Christopher Bunn

Oct 10, 2011

bookshelves: 2_kindle_own, 2011-read, 2011_5-stars
Read from October 07 to 10, 2011

I can smack myself for not getting around to reading this one sooner. It's been awhile since I read a good straight-forward fantasy. This book also reminds me why I don't normally read fantasy on my Kindle. If there is a map, it's not there for reference. That would have been helpful for maintaining prespective but it was not a deal breaker. It would have also been helpful to have a lineage chart of some sort since there are so many legends attached to ancestors. Not a dealbreaker either.

I have purchased the two remaining novellas in this trilogy. I assume they are novellas as this is one. It's compact but it's very detailed and well conceived. The most important aspect in my opinion is the magical foundation. I have not encountered anything like it before in my reading. I enjoyed the shifting character perspectives and generous cast. The plot is not as defined in this one. All I know is that something bad is jumping off and that it's going to take major cooperation and serious magic to stop it. Who will step up to the plate, not sure on that one just yet. I expect several of the characters from this book to be dead by the end of book three. Although the pace is quite fast, I got a sense of who the characters where and I cared about them. I want to know what happens to them. I also want to know who are the bad guys, all of them.

I feel very sure in recommending this book to fantasy fans of The Castings Trilogyand Auralia's Colors. This is YA.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hawk and His Boy.

5.0% "I got the wrong book at the library today so I was looking at my Kindle and realized I had not read this one. Here it goes. I hope it lives up to some of the impressive reviews."

Jesslyn Oh, I hope you enjoy it!

message 2: by jD (new) - rated it 5 stars

jD I just purchased the other two. It was really good. The shifting perspective reminded me of Pamela Freeman's style in theThe Castings Trilogy. I was really impressed. It's quite compact, basically a novella.