Shelli's Reviews > Moon Over Manifest

Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool

Aug 19, 11

bookshelves: older-kids-teen
Read from August 10 to 19, 2011

I personally really enjoyed this novel, however here are the reasons I would not be super excited to recommend to young readers. Since that is the section this book is categorized under at your local bookstore.

1. While not all books need to be silly suck kids in fun(even though that is what the majority of kids want to read) the way this story is written might come across to most young readers as boring. Don't get me wrong their are tons of non-funny books I would recommend for this age just not this particular one.

2. I think the interest level is just to high compared to the reading level. Which according to Accelerated Reader is a 5.3 (5th grade 3rd month). If this book was placed in the teen section I believe it would get more notice.

3. This is the type of book that educators would LOVE to see their students reading. If a 5th, 6th or higher grade level teacher did a read aloud with this book and really delved into the history and the setting of the books two main story lines (World War 2 and The Depression) it could be a wonderful learning experience for their students. However, students reading this book on their own without having some knowledge of these subjects would be missing a lot of the story in the book.

O.k. so now that I mentioned all the reasons I would not recommend to a grade school student let me mention why I would recommend this to a Jr. High or High School aged student or even an adult. Very likable characters, beautifully written story teller format, and wonderful perspectives about harsh times in our countries history.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moon Over Manifest.