Kelly 's Reviews > One Day

One Day by David Nicholls

Dec 26, 11

bookshelves: ebook, read-2011, book-movie
Read from August 10 to 14, 2011

I must say I'm truly amazed at why so many people LOVE this book.

Let's start with the writing, for me it lacked flow and had major transition issues when jumping POV's It just felt very choppy! I do realize that it is written by an English gentleman so I'm sure that squawking about all the British slang would not be fair!

I did finish the book in about 3 days and really enjoyed all the twists and turns and I thought the concept of the One Day interesting and fresh. I just wish I liked the characters more and for that matter that they liked themselves and each other more!

They were NEVER truly happy. Always seeming lost and searching for some ideal that never came. Dex and Emma's self-deprecating attitudes wore on me.

A very few times I caught a glimpse at the Dexter and Emma that they wanted to be and from that I suppose is what they see in each other I just wish we had more of that.

The ending was not expected as I had read no reviews prior. But I was aware that it was not an HEA ending. That was fine for me and I didn't mind the ending. If I had known the ending I may not have slogged (British slang????) through the pages. So don't read this review (LOL)

Em and Dex, Dex and Em, yes, they probably were meant for each other. Who else would have such miserable people!

Now off you go, to the movies!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Day.

08/11/2011 page 178
08/11/2011 page 178
41.0% "Can't wait for this movie."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ Same!! Such a great book!

Kelly Aj wrote: "Same!! Such a great book!"

It's a bit sad I have to say I didn't think Dex would sink so low!

message 3: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ Keep reading....

Rach~The Highlander luverrr Kell you have been reading lots of 3 stars ... u need a big fat 5 star :)