Beth's Reviews > Johnny Tremain

Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes

Apr 07, 08

bookshelves: childrens-fiction
Read in April, 2008

Funny what you remember in a book. I read this as a child, and all I recalled was one of the last scenes of the book...a very touching, startling scene. I didn't realize how much I had blocked out--except for this one event--until I was actually reading it again at the end. Not remembering actually allowed me much enjoyment of rediscovering the characters and the new tenor of humanness I could now more fully understand as an adult.

It's a great read, and very enjoyable to the one who likes historical fiction.

Quote:

"I'll just put baby in his cradle here, and if he doesn't go right to sleep you rock him a little with your foot." The first time he read Tom Jones, he got so excited he absent-mindedly rocked baby for half an hour, but even this did not upset that regular Silsbee of Lexington. The baby gulped a little, but took it philosophically--just like Rab. Secretly, and only when alone, Johnny began calling him "Rabbit." It was easy for him to love, and he loved the baby. He would have died before he would have let anyone guess he was so simple, but Aunt Lorne knew. Sometimes she would come into the kitchen quietly and hear Johnny holding long, one-sided conversations with Rabbit. When she came in to the room where he was with the child, he would merely say scornfully, "Aunt Lorne, I think it is wet," and pretend to be lost in his book. Then she would feel so fond of the lonely boy, who never knew he was lonely, and so amused at his pretense of scorn for something he in his heart loved, she could not help but kiss him... pg. 112

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Johnny Tremain.