Emily's Reviews > The Last Werewolf

The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan

Aug 10, 11

Read in August, 2011

This book is not for everyone. The main character is not one of those good "monsters" with a conscience. He kills and eats people and has a lot of disgusting sex. So if you are the type of reader who likes to relate to the main character, especially when the book is written in the first person, you might not like this. However, if you can distance yourself, I thought it was quite an interesting read. It's a bit introspective - a lot about what the main character is thinking or trying to convince himself. Considering he is the last werewolf on the earth, I think it's interesting to hear him debate his existence.

The language used is also probably one of those love it or hate it things. I thought the author tried too hard to use imagery and make the writing very visual. It worked sometimes, but it failed a lot of times too. An example is that the author was describing that something was happening near a mountain in the woods. In the very next line he described the same scene as a "giant knee of stone rising out of pool of trees". Personally I do not have a hard time visualizing what a mountain looks like and "giant knee of stone" acutally obscures my ability to visualize. So instances like that were a littel annoying. However, there were other times where I really liked his writing, so I was able to forgive this occasional, unnecessary use of metaphor.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Werewolf.