Aimee (Getting Your Read On)'s Reviews > Your Child's Writing Life: How to Inspire Confidence, Creativity, and Skill at Every Age

Your Child's Writing Life by Pam Allyn

1934633
Aug 10, 11

Read in August, 2011

I agreed to read and review this book because a couple of my kids love to write and one absolutely does not. One of my kids wants to write books and is working on his first novel. He attends teen writer's conferences and has really enjoyed learning more about writing. He is my oldest. My youngest says she hates reading and writing. I always wonder what I did wrong with her to make her say that. I'm not sure. So, I was interested in what Pam Allyn had to say about writing and reading in her new book.

"Of all you can do for your child, instilling in him/her a writing life is one of the best, cheapest, most lasting ways you can make a tremendous difference in the overall academic experience and outcomes your child will have."

"There is a power in being able to say exactly what you mean."

I love all the ideas in this book. Pam Allyn literally takes you through the years, from birth to older teenagers, giving you ideas for helping kids to write. Why is writing so important? Ours is a world of words. If kids learn to write, they learn to express themselves. They learn creativity. Allyn says test scores at school will improve because writing teaches kids to think and increases their mental stamina.

I particularly enjoyed the chapter that calls in the "Writing Dr.". It helps you find ways to help that child who may be resistant to writing, or a child who struggles with writing. I found ways to encourage my children and compliment their writing.

For me, writing is a way of preserving memories and ideas. It charts growth and helps promote understanding. I am glad to have read this book and would encourage you to pick it up too! A love of writing is a great gift to give to your children.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Your Child's Writing Life.