Tozette's Reviews > Hellblazer: Original Sins

Hellblazer by Jamie Delano

Aug 10, 11

bookshelves: trash-fantasy, urban-fantasy
Recommended to Tozette by: Small Creek
Recommended for: people who are fabulous
Read from August 08 to 10, 2011 — I own a copy

There is just something about the asshole antihero that makes me weak in the knees -- and John Constantine is an A-grade asshole. He frequently (and sometimes randomly) abuses the people around him in a way that's both shameless and hilarious. Character aside, the plots work, they're fast-paced and they're twined together, and the comic book dialogue snaps and crackles when it's not drowning in deliciously cheesy bombast.

To be honest, about the only criticism I have here is that some of these subplots and stories toe the line of bland decency -- socially sanctioned horror, as it were. I feel like they could have a lot more impact if the writers were willing to cross the last few taboos on their merry path to hell.

Original Sins contains the first nine issues of Hellblazer. I was first introduced to these comics a few years back, but I didn't complete more than a flip-through before putting them on the 'maybe later' shelf in my mind. I can't for the life of me remember why because this was pretty damned awesome.

This time around I bought it, read it on the train and totally ignored all the odd looks I got for reading comic books in my drab office clothing. Delicious.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hellblazer.