Katy's Reviews > Bread Alone

Bread Alone by Judi Hendricks

Jul 12, 08

Read in July, 2008

This book is fine summer reading. After I finished the book, I noticed the back cover heralds the publication of a sequel called The Baker’s Apprentice. I hope to get to it before the end of summer.

The story takes place in 1988. The main character, Wynter, is a L.A. trophy wife who has just been unceremoniously dumped by her husband. She flees to Seattle to become a baker’s apprentice and set a new course for her life. In 1988, I was also setting new course for my life, though not under such dramatic circumstances. I lived in a little cottage much like the one she lives in and I was in a relationship that was becoming more serious, all the while I was preparing to drop back in to college after a two year absence. It was a big year for me and I re-lived parts of it through Wynter. Hard to remember a time when home computers were a rarity and no one had a cell phone. I was also car-less, as is the main character, which doesn’t seem like much to comment on, but her day-to-day life of getting to and fro is written accurately and adds to the overall ambiance. I kind of miss the car-less days, but I do not want to re-live them with two kids, that’s for sure!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bread Alone.