jill's Reviews > The Sunday Philosophy Club

F 50x66
May 25, 08

bookshelves: mystery, feminist
Read in April, 2008

Okay, I have always read this author's name as "Alexandra McCall Smith," I guess because his really famous series is that African ladies' detective club one, and I'm a big sexist jerk. I was telling my mom about the books I'd picked up at the Richmond Public Library book sale, and she had to correct me. Oops.
I didn't enjoy this much. The mystery wasn't very interesting. I didn't care for the subplot about the niece's love-life or the sub-subplot about the main character's lost love from twenty years ago or whatever. This is the first in a series, and clearly the main character is going to eventually become romantically involved with her niece's ex-boyfriend, which irritates me because he is boring. The main character is the editor of a philosophy journal, so she is chock full of boring philosophical musings. And, though the Sunday Philosophy Club is mentioned, it never meets, and I don't think we even meet any of the members aside from the main character, so there isn't even any counter-point to her philosophical ideas. If you're not supposed to produce a gun in the first act that never goes off, you probably shouldn't have an eponymous club that has no role in the story.
On the bright side, it did make me want to visit Scotland, but that doesn't take much persuasion.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sunday Philosophy Club.