Aliza's Reviews > Civil War: The Road to Civil War

Civil War by J. Michael Straczynski

Aug 10, 2011

Read from August 07 to 09, 2011

I love the dynamic of this graphic novel. We have Iron Man and Spiderman working on what, it seems, is the same side but they represent such different kinds of superheroes. Spiderman is an angel compared to Iron Man and some of the things we see him do in this comic along with the way he carries himself in general. Iron Man, it seems, is a man who is no stranger to getting his hands dirty...even when he's trying to (is he?) do the right thing.

There is certainly a lot of testosterone coursing through this novel and as such, notably all female characters are left to the background as the men, supermen or not, decide what to do about the possibility of the Superhuman Registration Act.

After all, none of the superheroes seem keen to register, except for perhaps those whose identities are already public knowledge.

The graphics (and costumes) are great. The pacing is nice. The tone of the senate hearings (and the jerks, I mean, senators running them) made for some great scenes. Both Spiderman and Iron Man's dialogue is witty and well-written and the other superheroes are given their good quips here and there.

Altogether, a great lead-in to the epic Marvel Civil War.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Civil War.