Robert's Reviews > The Hours

The Hours by Michael Cunningham

Feb 28, 2012

I do not think I have underlined more in a book. I'm still reeling. One of the best books I've ever read. I remember first seeing The Hours in my high school film class and falling in love with everything about it. I bought the soundtrack online and wrote something (I don't remember the exact story I had been working on) while listening to the beautiful music, I even told my teacher how grateful I was that she had picked that movie. Years have passed and I still listen to that music frequently when I write- as I am now. Finally the time came to read The Hours, but I would read Mrs. Dalloway first. I had opened to a random page in Mrs.D and started reading to test the waters and decided to put it off (I was such a fool to delay reading this book for so long based on something out of context!) Maybe a year or two later I decided to buy Mrs. Dalloway, all the while the water damaged (very appropriate with the water motif of book) copy my mother had given me sat in a box in my closet collecting dust. One of the best books I have ever read was right under my nose for so long! Michael Cunningham is an amazing, fantastic, wonderfully gifted writer. Crafting a story on the foundations of Virgina Woolf's work is an ambitious task and Michael Cunningham does it brilliantly. It reminded me of the poet Arda Collins and her book It Is Daylight, haunting descriptions of empty or still spaces- the sweater being warmed, and in The Hours- the bottle of sleeping pills in the darkness of the closed cabinet. The Hours is one of the darkest books on my bookshelf, it bats its eyelashes flirtactiously at Death, teasing the kiss.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hours.