Robert's Reviews > Just After Sunset

Just After Sunset by Stephen King

Aug 10, 11

Out of all of Stephen King’s short story collections I would say Just After Sunset sits at the bottom of the list as weakest, but that does not mean it was bad. Willa was okay. The Gingerbread Girl had something missing, I can’t put my finger on just what exactly, a little bit predictable, it feels sort of passionless. Harvey’s Dream was weird, not too much else, I don’t think the surreal aspect of Stephen King’s dream translated very well into this story. Rest Stop was weak and out of place in the collection; it is a horror story very grounded in reality (and still not very scary at all, from the woman’s perspective maybe it would have been) and becomes overshadowed by other stories with fantastic elements. Stationary Bike was odd; I’d say the first really good story of the book. The Things They Left Behind was another good one that didn’t push the boundaries too much. Graduation Afternoon was off the wall in a bad way, just not very good. N. was superb, the best story of the book. I was already familiar with The Cat from Hell from seeing it a long time ago and I have to say I liked the movie ending more, same with Secret Window Secret Garden (not in this collection). The New York Times at Special Bargain Rates was sad and heartfelt, a much more successful romantic ghost story than Willa. Mute was creepy, another standout. Ayana was okay, I don’t think it should have been placed after TNYTASBR though. A Very Tight Place was filthy, which is a compliment, but the escape was very predictable which made it drag a little; it could have been tighter.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just After Sunset.