Jess the Romanceaholic's Reviews > Crying For The Moon

Crying For The Moon by Sarah Madison

Aug 11, 2011

bookshelves: same-sex-smexin, paranormal-romance, netgalley, vampires, werewolves-or-other-shape-shifters, 2011-read, family-issues
Read from August 10 to 11, 2011

This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: July 22, 2011 (Available Now!)
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
Imprint: N/A
Author’s Website: http://www.sarahmadisonfiction.com/
My Source for This Book: Netgalley
Part of a Series: No
Series Best Read In Order: N/A
Steam Level: Hot

Alexei Novik is tired of the Life. Making a clean break from his controlling lover, Victor, he moves to a remote house in the Blue Ridge Mountains, avoiding both feeding on humans and using his coffin in an effort to put the Life behind him and enjoy some well-deserved solitude.

His plans go awry, however, when his sexy next door neighbor Tate blithely ignores Alexei's rudeness and introduces himself to all of Alexei's friends. A local veterinarian, the oh-so-sexy Tate quickly offers his services as handyman (and hints at maybe a few other services he wouldn't mind performing) if Alexei ever needs it.

It turns out, Tate's offer is a damned good thing, because it isn't long before the ramshackle house begins to seemingly fall apart at the seams, and coupled with Alexei's ill-preparedness to have his werewolf friends over for the full moon, Alexei is in over his head.

When something goes horribly wrong on the night of the full moon, Tate comes swooping in to the rescue, and Alexei can't resist both his innate charm and his easy acceptance of the paranormal. Knowing that being together can only put Tate in danger, as those vampires who resent Alexei's refusal to embrace the Life pose a huge threat to anyone Alexei cares about, he tries to resist Tate's advances. However, the intense attraction crackling between them cannot be denied.

I've noticed that there aren't that many good m/m paranormal romances out there. Oh, don't get me wrong, there are plenty with aliens and off-planet or futuristic vibes, but I personally haven't come across that many with vampires and werewolves, so I knew as soon as I read the blurb that I had to pick this one up.

In the end, this was an incredibly fun, deliciously hot read, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The mythology was a fresh spin on the same old same old, the sex was hot, and the characters were each interesting in their own right. I loved reading about the Life, as well as watching Alexei slowly start to think of Tate and the pack as family, despite the fact that vampires are almost always solitary creatures.

Tate felt a little bit too perfect in my opinion, and the Big Bad was a bit on the cliche side, but even so, it was a very enjoyable read. 4/5 Stars
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crying For The Moon.