Laura the Highland Hussy's Reviews > His Mistress by Christmas

His Mistress by Christmas by Victoria Alexander

2043222
Sep 27, 11

Read from August 22 to 23, 2011

This was a fun, quick read that had me smiling throughout the whole book.

Veronica is happy as a widow, but one who misses having a man in her bed. So she decides to take a lover. She doesn’t want a husband, though, as she enjoys her freedom and control over her own life. As she attends a lecture of her dear friend’s cousin, she sees the man she wants. He is brilliant, attractive, and has the reputation of being quite the rake. He's perfect for her.

Sir Sebastian Hadley-Attwater can’t take his eyes off the lovely redhead sitting next to his cousin. When she approaches him and she is intelligent, witty, and interested in him, he thinks “I must have her.” But he wants more than a mistress. He wants her as his wife.
This was a fun story and I loved watching their courtship. At one point, Sebastian convinces Veronica to spend Christmas with him in his new home. Unfortunately he had mentioned to his sister that he would be married to her by Christmas, y’know, because he’s hot and a catch and totally self-assured---plus it’s not like she would say no, right? Riight...

So his sisters hear of Veronica spending Christmas with their brother, and tell the family that Sebastian and his new bride will be at his new home. And the family shows up en masse. Including some family who heard about it all the way in Paris!

Sebastian's solution was to just pretend he was married to her. Without telling Veronica. The pretending to be married was hysterical (remember no one told Veronica), so Sebastian and his sisters were trying to pull it off without letting on that they knew she was his mistress...which she really wasn’t...yet. Just in theory, not in deed.

By the end of Christmas, once everyone has figured everything out, and Veronica finally realizes she was being silly about not marrying Sebastian, since she loved him, and he loved her and they wanted children, another little bomb was dropped on Veronica. Sebastian was about to come into his inheritance, but only if his brothers approved it. Being an adventurer and explorer, he’d always felt like the black sheep of the family, so having a house, and a new wife, it looked really bad to Veronica. It looked as if he only wanted to marry her for the inheritance. I won’t spoil the inheritance because it was such a grand scene, with a little twist, but I will say that if all of Ms. Alexander's books are this fun and witty, I can’t wait for the next one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Mistress by Christmas.

08/22/2011 page 53
08/22/2011 page 53
15.0% "I didn't mean to get caught up in this one, but I really needed a change from UF/PNR after the last book. Hello Victorian Age! lol"
08/22/2011 page 71
20.0% "She wants to take him as her...mister? Male version of mistress? well, I guess she wants to be his mistress, and he wants to marry her...this should be good fun"
08/22/2011 page 75
21.0% ""I do hope I haven't disappointed you," Veronica said slowly "Because you're not a tart?" Portia waved in an offhand gesture. "One learns to live with disappointment." Julia snorted. this is such a fun book! just what I needed!" 3 comments
08/22/2011 page 95
27.0% ""What are your secrets, Veronica?" "Let me think." She picked up her glass and sipped her wine. "To be honest, I can't think of one. I am very much an open book. Not nearly as adventurous as one of your books, however." "I doubt that. You may very well be the greatest adventure of my life.""
08/22/2011 page 105
30.0% "Oh goodness! She just asked the equivalent of "What do you mean by special? Short bus special?" lmao! "What do you mean by 'special'?" "I mean..."He shook his head helplessly, "I mean special." "Do you mean special in the sense of being especially clever or especially pretty or especially well spoken?" Her brow furrowed. "Or do you mean special in the sense of being odd...[cont in comments]" 3 comments
08/23/2011 page 352
100.0% "4 stars- a wonderful story. I don't think I've smiled so much in ages!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eastofoz (new) - added it

Eastofoz Review! Review! ;p I'm looking for a good Christmas romance that actually has more than one sentence with a Christmas reference. How did this work for you?

message 2: by Laura the Highland Hussy (last edited Sep 27, 2011 12:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura the Highland Hussy it was good! I have the finished review, I jsut wasn't sure when to post it.

It was very fun and lighthearted. The thing is that she vows to make sure she's his mistress by Christmas, and he wants her to be his wife by Christmas. They agree to "court" each other and go to his new place for the holidays-only to be decended upon by his whole entire family-who saw some of her family in Paris, invited them along, and then joined the party...all because he told his sisters he'd be married by Christmas. They assumed he had married and descended en masse. It was cute and fun and witty.

message 3: by Eastofoz (new) - added it

Eastofoz Thanks Laura :D I'll be sure to check out your review when you post it :D

message 4: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie This sounds very fun. :D I'm gonna have to check it out!

Laura the Highland Hussy Eastofoz wrote: "Thanks Laura :D I'll be sure to check out your review when you post it :D"

I'm lame, East. Today's release day, so I posted it just now :)

Laura the Highland Hussy Bonnie wrote: "This sounds very fun. :D I'm gonna have to check it out!"

thanks Bonnie!

Lisa Great review, looking forward to reading this one! I saw it today at the store and the copies they had were autographed by her! So random! Almost bought one but thirteen bucks is a bit to high for me right now but still..!! So weird.

Laura the Highland Hussy Thanks! And I agree on the price-yikes! But, if I saw an autographed one I might have to splurge ;)

My review copy came from her publisher, but had an autographed trading card inside-nice little touch.

Lisa That's nice! I love little bonuses from authors :)
I might end up getting it...it's going to stay on my mind I think lol. Just can't believe they had them at Shopko in a small town. I mean, there are really only two places to buy books WM and Shopko. So unexpected :)

message 10: by Eastofoz (new) - added it

Eastofoz Great review Laura :D Even though it's HC only I'm buying it :D Sounds like a good Christmas historical :)

Laura the Highland Hussy I hope you like it!