Andi Ruggles (Rywn)'s Reviews > Cinder and Ella

Aug 09, 11

bookshelves: reviewed
Read in August, 2011

ARC provided via Publisher via NetGalley

The important thing to keep in mind while reading this story is that is intended to be a children's story, and most likely one that is read aloud by a parent and discussed alongside it.

Cin­der and Ella is a dif­fer­ent turn on the retelling of Cin­derella, and man­ages in incor­po­rate hints of the orig­i­nal tale while still firmly remain­ing its own story. Instead of your tra­di­tional Cin­derella, you find that there are two sis­ters, Cin­der and Ella who together make up the ‘Cin­derella’ that Dis­ney has imprinted in our minds. This story has all the trap­pings of a true fairy tale — dashing knights, das­tardly vil­lains, and a brave hero­ine try­ing to save the Kingdom.

I found the story com­pletely intrigu­ing from the begin­ning, and was only hin­dered slightly by the disjointed end­ing. Cin­der and Ella imme­di­ately tells the reader that not all sto­ries have per­fectly happy end­ings, and causes me to remem­ber that the fairy tales we all know and love have their dark moments as well. In between moments of feel­ing rushed, I fell in love with the char­ac­ter of Ella, who tries so hard to do the right thing even when con­tin­u­ally shown that she does not always have the power to do so. Along­side her was Tan­ner, a knight wor­thy of every lit­tle girl’s swoon­ing, whose charac­ter adds humor to the story.

I would rec­om­mend Cin­der and Ella to any par­ent read­ing to their child as Cin­der and Ella pro­vides a won­der­ful bed­time story with won­der­ful dis­cus­sion points following.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinder and Ella.