Karri's Reviews > The Red Tent

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

Apr 07, 08

Read in March, 2008

** spoiler alert ** I went into reading the book knowing a bit about it. I liked the book up unitl Dinah "marries" the prince and then is killed along with all of the other men in the palace and city..... I walked into my room and said to my husband, OK this is getting pretty dramatic." I told him what happened and he replied, That did happen in the Old Testament. So then my thoughts were, the author is trying to make sense of the story from the Old Testament. I finished the book and although I don't regret reading it I was a little "put off" by it. I do not like the human characteristics she chose to add to our Biblical characters in her book. I do not know that Rebecca was a fanatical oracle who was a bit a stand offish,and did not live with Issac, and I do not know that Jacob became grumpy and prideful in his old age. Prophets who I know to be great, she has given negative human charactersitcs to them. Joseph is not the heroic boy who ran from potipher wife's either in her book.
I began reading hoping the book would give me a greater insight into the Old Testament. It did, but it brought drama with it. Too much drama.
And culturally a red tent did not exist. There was a comentary section in the back of my book from the author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Tent.