Laura Craner's Reviews > The Fob Bible

The Fob Bible by Theric Jepson

Aug 09, 11

bookshelves: books-read-in-2011
Read in July, 2011

This was such a weird reading experience for me. I started this book a little warily and ended up really liking it--but it took me a long time to get there. Like any multi-author anthology there are going to be parts you like and parts you don't like. For me a lot of the poetry ended up feeling like filler--with a few exceptions (I really liked "Weary")--but I think that's more a reflection of my own personal aesthetic than the quality of the poetry. What really won me over though were a few of the short stories. "Blood-Red Fruit" and "The Book of Job's Wife" really blew me away. Amazing stuff. I actually read those stories more than once because I found them so moving and interesting. The Jonah story was also very well done. The story about Alphalad lost me. But again, this is probably due to my own aesthetic preferences and not because the story wasn't well done. The thing I wanted most with this book was a reader's group or class. I just wanted to stop and examine it and talk about it because it was dense reading. In a good way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fob Bible.