Ryan Milbrath's Reviews > The Metamorphosis and Other Stories

The Metamorphosis and Other Stories by Franz Kafka

Aug 09, 11

Kafka. I remember reading the metamorphosis in twelve grade english. My friend sitting in front of me remarked how when she finished the short story she was so depressed looking while sitting at the dinner table her mother thought it had something to do with the food. Indeed stories like the Stoker, the Metamorphosis, the fasting-artist, Country Doctor, etc. all seem to invoke the same depressing feeling the first time I read the metamorphosis. This is going on my third time and I still feel for the Stoker, Gregor Samsa, the old country doctor, and the fasting artist, and even the trapeze artist in Sorrow like I did the first time I read it.

Kafka, along with Chekov, has got to be one of the best short story writers out there. The Penal Colony still had the power to repulse, while The Judgement still retained its power to invoke empathy. My personal favorite has always been the short story the Jackals and Arabs. Kafka indeed seemed like a tortured soul, but a soul that I could relate too and that of my friends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Metamorphosis and Other Stories.