Skut L's Reviews > The Lord of the Rings

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

Rather than write a lengthy critique of this book which has been done dozens of times and by those who have spent their scholarly lives studying Professor Tolkien's works, I will simply summarize what LoTR means to me: The beginning of my (thus far) lifelong love for fantasy and sf literature, with a penchant for masterful worldbuilding, larger than life but still relatable characters, extremely detailed descriptions of just about every person place and thing, and above all a compelling story with multilayered plots. The concept of good versus evil is timeless yet we all choose one version of it over another and decide that is "our" version. LOTR, by virtue of making that eternal struggle far more grey than many realize, has become mine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lord of the Rings.

Quotes Skut Liked

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men, doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.”
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Then I will wish you this fortune for your comfort, Gimli,’ said the Elf, ‘that you may come safe from war and return to see them again. But do not tell all your kindred! There seems little left for them to do, from your account. Maybe the men of this land are wise to say little: one family of busy dwarves with hammer and chisel might mar more than they made.’ ‘No, you do not understand,’ said Gimli. ‘No dwarf could be unmoved by such loveliness. None of Durin’s race would mine those caves for stones or ore, not if diamonds and gold could be got there. Do you cut down groves of blossoming trees in the springtime for firewood? We would tend these glades of flowering stone, not quarry them. With cautious skill, tap by tap – a small chip of rock and no more, perhaps, in a whole anxious day – so we could work, and as the years went by, we should open up new ways, and display far chambers that are still dark, glimpsed only as a void beyond fissures in the rock. And lights, Legolas! We should make lights, such lamps as once shone in Khazad-dûm; and when we wished we would drive away the night that has lain there since the hills were made; and when we desired rest, we would let the night return.”
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings