S's Reviews > Warbreaker

Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson

Aug 09, 11

bookshelves: 2011, on-my-shelves, the-the-best
Read in August, 2011

I'd give 4.5 if I could. I can't quite bring myself to 5 stars (it's this thing... since I've been reading the Kingkiller Chronicles nothing compares and when I'm reading a book by an author in the same genre, well, there are some major differences. No offense to Sanderson, Rothfuss is really just that good.)

Of the main characters I really liked Siri, I was mildly annoyed yet fond of Vivenna. Lightsong broke my heart in all the right ways. Secondary characters, I liked Vasher, wanted more of his story, more info since he seemed to be pulling so many stings behind the scenes. Denth and Tonk Fah were predictable but goofy and I enjoyed them while I could. Blushweaver, the sultry goddess, was a bit dense and predictable as well, though she wasn't so bad in the end... I think she always meant well. And Susebron, the God King, well... I had more than one inkling about what his character was going to be and I wasn't disappointed.

As for the twists, without getting too spoilery but also not too vague (so then, possible spoilers), I saw them coming which surprisingly didn't make things less enjoyable. Figuring out who held what loyalties wasn't difficult for me though I was really hoping to be wrong in the first case. (They were so likable! But really, transparent.)But, for Lightsong's sake, I was happy not to be wrong in the second.

It may be the hormones, but the only one I shed a tear for was, rightfully, Lightsong. His story, near the end, really was perfection and it was my attachment to him that made me pick up the Mistborn trilogy at Borders (20% off FTW!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warbreaker.