sdattybride's Reviews > Little Children

Little Children by Tom Perrotta

F_50x66
Apr 07, 08

Read in May, 2007

While not every aspect of the story necessarily rings true, Perotta does a fantastic job of creating a secret world between Sarah and Todd, using the characters' own flaws to develop his story and build suspense. Personally, I don't know that the sex-offender subplot did much for the story and I could've done without it, particularly considering its overall "preachy" tone (which may be unavoidable when writing about so delicate a subject). While I can appreciate that the idea was to parallel a local public scandal against the fragile world created by Sarah and Todd's own private scandal, Perotta gave himself enough to work with in Sarah and Todd and their respective situations and personalities that he could have developed his story without the outside element. Their little world was in itself so unstable that it didn't need the outside impetus to implode, and I found it a little disappointing that Perotta's focus was distracted. However, I found the book, in all its scandalousness, juicy and enjoyable; in my opinion Perotta is a modern Tolstoy, a master of pinpointing banal but heartwrenching details. Plus-- I'm sure it would be fun to discuss in a book club!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Children.