Pauline 's Reviews > Retribution Falls

Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding

Dec 19, 11

bookshelves: steampunk, own, part-of-series
Recommended for: steampunk fans, pirates
Read from August 09 to 10, 2011

After borrowing and returning this book from library four times I finally got around to reading it. How I wish I had read it sooner! I would say that this is my first foray into a steampunk-esqe novel and I absolutely loved it!

This book has a lot of elements which make it fun and hard to put down. There is a slew of very distinctive characters that make up the crew of the Ketty Jay, each with their own struggles and quirks. Gunfights, airships, political intrigue and moral ambiguity all make a showing in this novel. The combination results in a book that is extremely hard to put down and packed full of adventure.

The captain of this crew is Frey, who at first completely reminded me of Jack Sparrow from PoTC. They both have that swagger of confidence and you are never really sure where their allegiance lies and there are also a few instances where Frey pulls off a scheme by the skin of his teeth. This changes later on in the book as Frey begins to open up a bit more and trust people. My favorite character among the crew was Crake-a noble who joins up with Frey because he is running away from something. He is also a Daemonist (which is a mix between science/magic and reminds me of the alchemy aspects from Fullmetal Alchemist).

Definitely enjoyed it an will pick up the second book in this series.
5 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Retribution Falls.

08/09/2011 "finally reading this. it only took borrowing it from the library 3 times..."