L.C.'s Reviews > The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

Aug 09, 2011

I actually read the new Signet Classic, the one with the Intorductory essay by Nabokov, which I recommend the first ten pages and last 2 paragraphs of. I also really enjoyed the Afterward by Dan Chaon. It didn't really occur to me the connection between Jekyll/Hyde and Jack the Ripper.

As for the story, I am much more impressed by it than any adaptation I've seen. The fact that Dr. Jekyll loses control of his transformations, and thus turns to Mr. Hyde not at will in the end, I think is key. The fact Dr. Jekyll sets out on this experiment as a means to extract and remove evil from a person is also fascinating to me and important. Also, the fact that it was an unknown impurity in one of the chemicals he used that allowed the transformation is perfect to avoid its reproduction, since even the scientist had no idea (because of a late realization) what it was.

I really loved all the analogies, too, between Jekyll/Hide and Psychopaths (including Jack the Ripper), the Ego and Id, Good and Evil, Evolution, Social Class, etc. I really really enjoyed the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.