Giselle's Reviews > Shatter Me

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Sep 20, 11

bookshelves: arc, dystopia-or-post-apocalyptic
Read from September 13 to 19, 2011

I was very excited to have gotten a hold of this ARC. I saw this book a while back and the cover first attracted me to read the blurb, which sounded fascinating. After reading it, I'm happy to say that it didn't disappoint. It was quite the joyride: an exciting, fast paced dystopia. I've been a fan of dystopian novels since The Hunger Games and I'm always happy to find new gems in this exciting genre. I love the exhilaration, the emotional struggle and high speed survival that books like these are filled with.

Juliette has never been able to touch someone without inflicting pain, or worse. When her parents didn't know what to do with her, they send her away to be locked up an institution. It's a dystopian world, not so far in the future, where what's called The Reestablishment is trying to take over, and they want Juliette's power for themselves.

At first I wasn't really fond of all the striked out thoughts Juliette was having. They were distracting and I felt like I wanted to skip over them, but worry not, they dissipate towards the middle when she starts getting more rational. I do admit that it does help make her seem frenzied. Which is to be expected from someone witch her ability. Being locked up definitely did not help her sanity either. So, though it's an annoying format, it served it's purpose.

The writing was respectable. I saw a few minor plot holes here and there, but for a debut author - a 23 year old nonetheless - I was impressed. I found Juliette's situation to be very well portrayed. You could see that the stress of her situation affected her mentally as well as physically. It was realistic and true. The romance was a bit fast though; your typical YA love at first sight deal. But I looked to my inner teenage lust full heart and I okayed it. :)

I enjoyed the fast pace of this book. Weeks go by in a flash of a few pages. This doesn't always work in novels, but it sets the mood in this one. It does seem to go by faster than expected a time or two, but the story isn't affected by it and we get to move along with the plot instead of dwindling on idle facts. Towards the end, the story takes on a more casual pace and the world building get more elaborate. We delve deeper in the superpowers and conspiracies of their new age. The second novel should be pretty amazing!

I am currently hosting a giveaway on my blog - Xpresso Reads - for this ARC, ending September 27th. It's worth the read!
38 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shatter Me.

09/14/2011 page 90
26.0% "Not sure I'll have time for finish this before my surgery tomorrow :("

message 1: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Congrats!

Giselle Thanks! I was so excited I was really looking forward to this one since I saw it a while back.

message 3: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I've yet to read a negative review about it. And the cover is totally gorgeous. I hope you enjoy it.

message 4: by Flannery (new) - added it

Flannery Ooh! I'm so excited for you! I hope it is as good as it sounds:)

Giselle Me too. Hopefully snail mail won't be too slow :)

message 6: by Lindsay (new) - added it

Lindsay Sounds like a great read! Enjoy!

Micheline (Lunar Rainbows Reviews) Oooh this looks interesting, can't wait to read your review :)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Ohhhh you're so lucky!!! Hope you have an amazing read, it looks good:)

Emily May ooh, can't wait to see what you think of this :)

~Tina~ Congrats! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this one!:)

Giselle Thanks! So far I'm really enjoying it!

message 12: by Alyssa (new) - added it

Alyssa I had the opportunity to read this but turned it down for Daughter of Smoke and Bone - let's see if I made the wrong decision. :P

Giselle And I chose this over Daughter of Smoke and Bone haha.

~Tina~ Great review! This sounds really great...despite my dislike of that cover lol

Giselle You don't like the cover? I love it! :)

~Tina~ =( No I don't like it, but that might change after I read the book:)

message 17: by HeatherJay (new) - added it

HeatherJay Great review, Giselle! I've gone back and forth on whether or not to read this one but you've peaked my interest. I'll add it to my TBR.

Giselle Thanks Heather. If you like dystopians you'll enjoy this.

Yodamom I have just started this book on audio. I see that the strike out really bothered many. I am enjoying it. Thanks for the review

message 20: by Linda (new)

Linda Great review!