Raine Thomas's Reviews > Darkfever

Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

Aug 29, 11

Read from August 09 to 29, 2011

I started this series at the suggestion of multiple friends, and I'm certainly glad I did. Ms. Moning's world-building is absolutely wonderful. I was easily immersed in the idea of our world existing while Fae and other supernatural creatures dwell in it (with humans entirely unaware, of course). It took little effort at all for me to suspend my disbelief.

It was a challenge for me to connect with the main protagonist, "Mac" Lane, however. In the beginning of the story, Mac learns her sister, Alina, has been killed while studying abroad in Ireland. The product of small-town living, Mac decides to set off in pursuit of her sister's killer, against her grieving parents' objections. Described throughout the beginning and middle of the book as a "Barbie" type of gal who tends bar and coordinates every accessory, the steely determination that propels Mac across the ocean and away from her comfortable, small-town life seems out of sync with her general character.

Additionally, I found some of her reactions and thoughts puzzling. She discovers that she has particular abilities related to the Fae, and although she refuses to believe them at first, she soon has no choice but to accept them. Still, her acceptance of the truths facing her is a choppy and rather abrupt process. Also, musings she mentions toward the end of the book about the story's dark "hero," Jericho Barrons, seem painfully obvious much earlier in the story.

Still, these elements didn't detract from the well-paced story and exquisite detail surrounding this fictional world. I am definitely looking forward to reading the next book in the series!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkfever.

08/22/2011 page 32