Sarah's Reviews > Eating Animals

Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer

F_50x66
Aug 09, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, food, farming, animals
Read in August, 2011

"We are vegetarians who sometimes eat meat." I like Jonathan Safran Foer. Why is meat ok sometimes, and not others? What exactly is meat? Why are chickens and cows ok, but not dogs or cats? Why do with euthanise thousands of animals each year, that could be used to feed the hungry? What separates humans from the animal kingdom? Are we really separate? The first few chapters cover philosophical questions such as these, and I found myself pondering my own food choices. Then he gets into factory farming. One of those realities I'm aware of, but don't like to think about (nobody does). I agree that we are so separated from our food, that the entire process of killing and butchering animals is osbscure. The most interesting fact I learned from this book, is that eating meat is MORE ENVIRONMENTALLY DAMAGING, than say driving your car. Whoa. I agree with every argument he had against meat in this book but cannot make the decision to give up meat completely....yet. I did, however, buy some quinoa and spelt berries this morning.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eating Animals.