Andrea's Reviews > Reasons to Be Happy

Reasons to Be Happy by Katrina Kittle

Oct 17, 2011

Read in October, 2011

4.5 out of 5 rating

Okay, a little random side note. I read this whole book thinking about how this was a new-to-me author. And when I was done, I was thinking what an amazing book this was. Then I was reading the author part of the book and realized that Katrina Kittle also wrote The Kindness of Strangers. I was thinking that I remembered enjoying the book and so I tried to find my review on the blog, but I read it before I started this blog, so I went to goodreads and realized that I gave that book 5 stars! That is a high, high compliment from me. I almost never give 5 stars! So just realize how amazing Katrina Kittle is!

Okay, on to the review. First off, this book should mandatory for every single junior high student (or girl at least) to read in some health class. Bulimia is such an important topic and this book covers it in a way that is so very detailed yet not preachy at all. I feel like on one hand, it shows the pros (no, not pros, there are no pros, but I can't think of another word) of an eating disorder...it doesn't just gloss over it like teens will never have a problem and bulimia is so gross..yadda yadda. I think that if a teen already has an eating disorder, he/she would be able to identify with Hannah and this book would help a teen overcome the disorder. Yet at the same time, I think that it shows how horrific bulimia is and that hopefully teens who don't already have an eating disorder would realize that beauty is deeper than the outside of a person and that there are other ways to overcome stressful/upsetting times.

That being said, I loved Hannah. She was just such a real teenager. You could feel her pain and her want to be happy. And the journey she took was such an important one. Both in the literal sense, of going to Ghana, and of the metaphorical sense, of trying to overcome her eating disorder. And Aunt Izzy. Everyone needs an adult in their life like her. Someone who's not critical, is there for you and wants to help.

And I loved reading the lists on things to be happy about. I found myself saying "yup" or "that makes me happy too" too most of them! So here's a brief look at my happy list:

1) Cuddling up on the couch with my hubby and puppy
2) Looking at my wedding photos
3)Going out with the girls
4)Cheering on the Gators at the Swamp
5) Getting a compliment from a stranger

I just can't express how much I enjoyed this book. It was such a tough topic but the author did such a great job with it!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reasons to Be Happy.

Deanna Hi Andrea, I realize you wrote this years ago but just wanted to tell you how much I agree with you. I love Katrina Kittle's books. My favorites are this one as well as The Kindness of Strangers. She really is talented!
Great review!!