Emily May's Reviews > Juliet Immortal

Juliet Immortal by Stacey Jay

Mar 30, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, paranormal-uf, 2011
Read from August 19 to 20, 2011

Interesting beginning... middle had highs and lows... ending was PERFECT...

I appreciate that not everyone is going to like this book. It's very much a Marmite kind of thing - you either love it or you hate it - except, unlike Marmite, I loved it! I think I liked it even more because it was very far from what I was expecting... and I had expected all kinds of possible ways this could go: super luvvy-duvvy romance, melodrama, ultra-angst...

Okay, there was the teensiest, tiniest bit of teen angst but I thought it all worked, it wasn't too much and the words were oh so pretty! I must stress this, I thought the writing was beautiful in that I-must-quote-this kind of way but you find it hard to choose which bit to quote. Like Laini Taylor but not that good.

I read it mainly because I am obsessed with Shakespeare. I went through High School with this ancient but really cool English teacher who taught me how awesome Shakespeare is and was entirely responsible for my good grades in the subject. Now I find myself exasperated and reading the same old takes on Shakespeare's work; Romeo and Juliet must have been re-written into every culture and time period possible by now. But this. Well, this was different. Suddenly, it isn't a tale about the famous star-crossed lovers who sacrificed everything for love.

Oh no. Because the tagline says it all: "The greatest love story ever told is a lie..."

That's right. Romeo is not what we all thought he was... he's a manipulative SOB who betrayed Juliet and over the centuries the two have battled it out against one another, fighting for control of the destinies of soulmates. Sound a bit TRUE-WUV-y?? It isn't. Or I didn't think so. I thought it was nasty and gruesome and really interesting.

And the ending was wonderful. You know, I had the smallest recollection of something in the back of my mind early on that led me to suspect something that I quickly disregarded. But I was right. Certain things are not coincidences and there's more to this story than first meets the eye... excited yet? You should be.

Also, you should know, even though the novel has no sex, there's some not-so-subtle innuendos and girly 'tingling'. Excellent!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Juliet Immortal.

Quotes Emily May Liked

Stacey Jay
“She will fight for light, and he for dark,
Battling through the ages for loves sweet spark.
Wherever two souls adore truly, you will find them, lo,
The brave Juliet and the wicked Romeo.”
Stacey Jay, Juliet Immortal

Stacey Jay
“Seven, ten, fifteen, eighteen years old and still there is nothing finer than a blank sheet of paper, the white promise that the world can be what I make it. A magical place, an adventurous place, a possible place. Erasers take away the mistakes. Another coat of paint to cover them up. Black and red and purple and blue. Always Blue.”
Stacey Jay, Juliet Immortal

08/19/2011 page 53
17.0% ""Seven, ten, fifteen, eighteen years old and still there is nothing finer than a blank sheet of paper, the white promise that the world can be what I make it. A magical place, an adventurous place, a possible place. Erasers take away the mistakes. Another coat of paint to cover them up. Black and red and purple and blue. Always Blue.""
08/19/2011 page 107
35.0% "To say this book is not what I expected would be an understatement of epic proportions." 3 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Aleeeeeza so i heard this one is REALLY melodramatic? i hope not, because melodrama really turns me off :/

Emily May I didn't think so, I hate melodrama myself. I loved the writing most of all, it was kind of poetic and I enjoy books where it seems like the author has given a lot of thought to each sentence :)

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 20, 2011 10:18AM) (new)

Oh, I'm so relieved to see that you liked it. Because I really wanted this to be good, and the only other friend who's reviewed it didnt care for it.

Emily May It depends what you're wanting from it. I'm not a fan of starcrossed romances and I was under the impression that this was one. But it was actually about all kinds of relationships and betrayals.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm not sure I had given it much thought, as to what I wanted it to be. I just think the twist on Romeo and Juliet sounds intriguing. But I tolerate lots of different scenarios, so I'm pretty hopeful

Emily May Well, it was definitely a very different take on Romeo and Juliet, I really hope you like it! :)

Jasprit Yay I'm glad you liked it can't wait to read it :)

Emily May Thanks Jasprit, I'm eager to see what you think :D

message 9: by Jo (new) - added it

Jo Great review, Emily!
This book looks good.... I'm not really a fan of R&J so it'll be interesting to see if I like this one.

You had me at "girly tingling" ;-)

Emily May Haha, thanks Jo! I think this will suit people who never liked R&J because the story is so vastly different :)