Sara Thompson's Reviews > The Ruins

The Ruins by Scott B. Smith

Apr 07, 2008

did not like it
Read in April, 2008

Let's start with the good. Or the less bad. The idea of the story is interesting. Being in another country is scary and this capitalizes that idea. I wish the metaphor of language barrier and communication had been played out more fully.

My chief complaints with this book are as follows:
- The characters were cardboard cutouts of real characters. Two dimensional and stereotypical.
- The women in this novel are useless. 100% USDA uselessness. See above.
- Honestly, why didn't the Greek speak English? And what was his purpose in the book?
- WHERE did this monster come from? I would really like to know where it came from and how come nobody did anything about it (like, the Mayans).
- The last 1/4 of the book was a HUGE stretch and included a wholly unsatisfying ending.

****WARNING SPOILERS*******

- It really bugged me that this plant was suddenly not only evil, but purposely intentionally malevolent.
- The mimicry of human voices and cell phones was effing ridiculous. Heightened ridiculousness came in the form of a vine that can suddenly form coherent conversations to taunt people. It's a bilingual plant? Uh, no.
- Why didn't the Greeks come sooner??
- Why is the vine evil?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ruins.

02/24 marked as: read

Sean Oh my gosh I agree so much!

message 2: by Maria (new)

Maria Think of it like an alegory, for instant adiction to heroine, crack cocaine, anfetamines. Where the plant is a symbol for that: young people irreflexively dabble on drugs, just curious, out of boredom,...and then all hell break loose.....Eric character for instance, the easier to spot I think on this, he had the symthoms many addicts and extreme alcoholics have: the certainty things are crowling under their skin, the compulsive scraching, the self-cutting etc...
And this is by no means the biggest horrors, real horrors people go through, they are more terrifying layers even. the vine is just a symbol, a tool, has different layers of meaning I believe,