CC's Reviews > One Summer

One Summer by David Baldacci

F 50x66
Sep 28, 11

Read in August, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This is a failure on about every level. There's not one authentic emotion, character, or line of dialogue in the entire book. Thriller writer Baldacci was channeling Nicholas Sparks for this one, there's no other explanation.

Thirty-five year-old Jack, a former 6' 2" pro football player, is dying of a mysterious -- un-named -- terminal illness. Then his wife dies, and he miraculously recovers. He gets his three kids from various relatives and they go to a beach house in the Carolinas they've all just inherited.

What accounts for this "miracle?" Nothing, apparently. He's not spiritual, he learns nothing. Just bam, he's dying and now he's not.

Yes, gee.

Forced melodrama continues with a "rebellious" daughter -- who of course is also a gifted musician -- and by the end of the book she of course aces all her classes, and gets a full ride scholarship to Berkeley. Sure she does. He's got two other kids, but apparently they need no parenting because they're hardly in the book. His mother-in-law decides (for no other reason that the plot neeeded "something else") to suddenly sue him for custody. The judge sides with her because he left the kids alone some nights to work on a lighthouse. On what planet? How? Where? What legal system would allow that? No abuse, no neglect, no nothing? AND THEN she decides she doesn't want them afterall, so he can just have them back. What the hell? I'm pretty sure a judge might have to be involved for that to happen.

I hate this book. I hate every character in it. And I hate myself for continuing to read it hoping it would get better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Summer.

Rose OMG!! First of Baldacci that I have read and it had Memories of "Last Song" all over it for me!!..so I guess I won't give up on David!!

message 2: by B. (new)

B. Hale One of the funniest reviews i've ever read! Lol

Ashley I said it my review it was David Baldacci doing his best impression of Nicholas Sparks!!

Sara Narrow-LaPoint Jack wasn't a pro football player lol

message 5: by CC (new) - rated it 1 star

CC Ashley wrote: "I said it my review it was David Baldacci doing his best impression of Nicholas Sparks!!"

I know, right?!! What the hell is going on with this book?

Ashley I'm still confused! lol

message 7: by Carmon (new)

Carmon   Simon cant even get into this horrible piece of literary crap

message 8: by Udayan (new)

Udayan majumdar very incisive review...u really done a favor 2 me as i was goin 2 read dis book...

Ronya Misleh I read this after I posted my own review--we have many of the same sentiments.

message 10: by CC (new) - rated it 1 star

CC Ronya wrote: "I read this after I posted my own review--we have many of the same sentiments."

I read your review and I agree. Better luck with your next read.

message 11: by Krista (new)

Krista Cobaugh He varsity lettered in three sports....quarterbacked the football team... So he wasn't pro but he played in high school and was good apparently

message 12: by Susan (new) - rated it 1 star

Susan I am a nurse. I got about as far as his recovery. Really?? I have other books I want to read!

message 13: by CC (new) - rated it 1 star

CC Susan wrote: "I am a nurse. I got about as far as his recovery. Really?? I have other books I want to read!"

Amen.

Claudette Apparently one only has to move to the Carolinas for all one's problems to be solved.

message 15: by CC (new) - rated it 1 star

CC Claudette wrote: "Apparently one only has to move to the Carolinas for all one's problems to be solved."

Yep, those Carolinas -- must be something in the water! :)

message 16: by Cathy (new)

Cathy DuPont CC wrote: "Claudette wrote: "Apparently one only has to move to the Carolinas for all one's problems to be solved."

Yep, those Carolinas -- must be something in the water! :)"

CC...I laughed my way all the way through your review and the comments. The book could not be near as funny as all this, so I'm passing it up. No need to say why, all you fine readers/reviewers have said it so well.

Thanks for the great review which made me put this in the pile that goes out the door.

BTW, Leaving on the midnight train to the Carolinas.

message 17: by CC (new) - rated it 1 star

CC BTW, Leaving on the midnight train to the Carolinas.

Oh, GREAT, Cathy -- now that song's going to be in my head all day!!! :) Ha!

message 18: by Cathy (new)

Cathy DuPont CC wrote: "BTW, Leaving on the midnight train to the Carolinas.

Oh, GREAT, Cathy -- now that song's going to be in my head all day!!! :) Ha!"

Sorry, but it does have a good tune, eh! :D

Latarsha I thought I was the only one that hated this book. David Baldacci couldn't even come up with a name for the disease the lead character supposedly had!

message 20: by CC (new) - rated it 1 star

CC Latarsha wrote: "I thought I was the only one that hated this book. David Baldacci couldn't even come up with a name for the disease the lead character supposedly had!"

I know! It was almost like his publisher didn't even bother to read it first.