CC's Reviews > One Summer

One Summer by David Baldacci

F_50x66
Sep 28, 11

Read in August, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This is a failure on about every level. There's not one authentic emotion, character, or line of dialogue in the entire book. Thriller writer Baldacci was channeling Nicholas Sparks for this one, there's no other explanation.

Thirty-five year-old Jack, a former 6' 2" pro football player, is dying of a mysterious -- un-named -- terminal illness. Then his wife dies, and he miraculously recovers. He gets his three kids from various relatives and they go to a beach house in the Carolinas they've all just inherited.

What accounts for this "miracle?" Nothing, apparently. He's not spiritual, he learns nothing. Just bam, he's dying and now he's not.

Yes, gee.

Forced melodrama continues with a "rebellious" daughter -- who of course is also a gifted musician -- and by the end of the book she of course aces all her classes, and gets a full ride scholarship to Berkeley. Sure she does. He's got two other kids, but apparently they need no parenting because they're hardly in the book. His mother-in-law decides (for no other reason that the plot neeeded "something else") to suddenly sue him for custody. The judge sides with her because he left the kids alone some nights to work on a lighthouse. On what planet? How? Where? What legal system would allow that? No abuse, no neglect, no nothing? AND THEN she decides she doesn't want them afterall, so he can just have them back. What the hell? I'm pretty sure a judge might have to be involved for that to happen.

I hate this book. I hate every character in it. And I hate myself for continuing to read it hoping it would get better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Summer.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rose OMG!! First of Baldacci that I have read and it had Memories of "Last Song" all over it for me!!..so I guess I won't give up on David!!

message 2: by B. (new)

B. Hale One of the funniest reviews i've ever read! Lol

Ashley I said it my review it was David Baldacci doing his best impression of Nicholas Sparks!!

Sara Narrow-LaPoint Jack wasn't a pro football player lol

message 5: by CC (new) - rated it 1 star

CC Ashley wrote: "I said it my review it was David Baldacci doing his best impression of Nicholas Sparks!!"

I know, right?!! What the hell is going on with this book?

Ashley I'm still confused! lol

message 7: by Carmon (new)

Carmon   Simon cant even get into this horrible piece of literary crap

message 8: by Udayan (new)

Udayan majumdar very incisive review...u really done a favor 2 me as i was goin 2 read dis book...

Ronya Misleh I read this after I posted my own review--we have many of the same sentiments.

message 10: by CC (new) - rated it 1 star

CC Ronya wrote: "I read this after I posted my own review--we have many of the same sentiments."

I read your review and I agree. Better luck with your next read.

message 11: by Krista (new)

Krista Cobaugh He varsity lettered in three sports....quarterbacked the football team... So he wasn't pro but he played in high school and was good apparently