Summer's Reviews > The Ice Storm

The Ice Storm by Rick Moody

Apr 07, 08

bookshelves: 2008, novels, i-will-lend-this-to-you

Oh boy, did I go back and forth on this one. On the one hand, I like Rick Moody's writing, and I admire that he can create genuinely loathsome characters without giving the reader the nagging suspicion that he really wants you to admire the poor put-upon lead. He also does some things with unreliable narrators that I enjoy.

On the other hand, the "infidelities among well-to-do suburbanites" theme is quite possibly my least favorite literary subgenre, and, putting this book together with [u]Purple America[/u], I'm starting to feel like Moody's a bit of misogynist, or at least is a person who can't write women very well. His female characters are always willingly having degrading sexual experiences, which is a little distressing, and the women who start out having interesting potential end up as one-dimensional figures by the end. He also has a tendency to pull out plot points from seemingly nowhere by the end, so I'm not sure if I want to keep reading him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ice Storm.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brandy (new)

Brandy I like Rick Moody, too; he's another writer where I get caught up in the beauty of the language and lose track of the plot, but don't notice for several pages because the writing is just so good. That said, I was really disappointed with The Ice Storm. It's one of his earlier works, so I can cut some slack, but overall: meh. The Ice Storm could be a fantastic exploration of sex, infidelity, and what is and isn't okay in the changing culture, but instead it seems like the story got away from him--like he got caught up in making it sexy (though it wasn't, particularly) or innovative (ditto).

He's another one where I like his short stories better than his long works. I also worry that, since I started with Purple America, I've had no choice but to be disappointed with every other word he's ever written.