Sarah's Reviews > The Dirty Life: On Farming, Food, and Love

2070861
Aug 11, 11

bookshelves: memoir
Read from August 09 to 11, 2011

I am on a farming/memoir kick and this one was great! like This Life In your Hands, The Dirty Life chronicled the start up of a farm that would sustain life and possibly bring in income but that's where the similarity ends. The Dirty Life is not a tragedy and still kept it real. Kristin Kimball is a journalist who's kinda doing her thing in NYC when she gets an assignment to go to farm. She doesn't go too much into the assignment but once she gets there she pretty much falls in love with the farmer and the life. It's no green acres though. She tells it like it is, all the hard work from 4am till aftter dark as her and her future husband mark fall in love and life. She is a newbie so learns everything and tells you about it. Sounds kinda boring but her writing style keeps you glued to the page. They end up getting a farm that was pretty much abandoned and start from scratch with huge plans and adding to it little by little. She details slaughtering (yuck!) but also birthing and milking cows, how each part of cultivating, planting and harvesting happens and how people help you out when you need it. She was also planning her wedding during this year the book takes place but she honestly explains her doubts and even though the wedding happened despite her doubts it wasn't a happily ever after ending. I loved it and can't wait to get my mind dirty with more dirty farm stories! cuz this chick would never actually do any real back breaking work. much love to Kimball or I should say the Kimballs cuz her husband took her last name.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dirty Life.