Mike's Reviews > The Lost Hero

The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan

M_50x66
Aug 09, 11

Like JK Rowling did with her Potter books, it feels like Rick Riordan is trying to grow along with his readers. It's a subtle change, and I barely noticed it since I'm something resembling an adult myself and read the Olympians series in about a day and a half, but it's there. The characters are older, the goofy humor is downplayed, and there's more focus on teenage angst and romance. That's not to say this is a dark book by any stretch — there's still a lot of familiar characters, the same imaginatively silly manifestations of Greek gods, and Riordan's same old obsession with enchiladas.

It's hard not to feel like he's repeating the same story as Percy Jackson's to some degree, but by the end of the book when things really start to tie together, you get the feeling he can make it work. The narrative method here is a different perspective per chapter: it's all third person, but from the perspective of each of the three main characters. That's different from the first-person Olympians series, and it makes things move very quickly and enjoyably, but Percy Jackson was a very well-defined narrative voice, and these three are less unique.

I'm nitpicking with the things I mention: if you consider it a failure to find Riordan repeating what works, then I suppose I can understand that perspective but it's a decent formula and in my eyes he's made it work again. A little extra action (if that's even possible) and character drama fill out The Lost Hero and make it slightly meatier, but in the end it's another fun modern epic Greek hero quest in his trademark style.

Recommended to Olympians fans, but if you are one then chances are you've already read it and are chomping at the bit for book two.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Hero.